A picturesque ensemble lives on
The Wurzerhof in East Tyrol is a scenic ensemble. It consists of a single-roof farm with several outbuildings, such as a laundry room/smoke room, a chapel, and a grain and sawmill. It is situated in the very secluded area in the Winkeltal valley near Ausservillgraten.
The first known mention of the farm dates back to 1433, so it can look back on a long and varied history. It is a living piece of the past in the modern world. The estate was formerly run as a full-time farm with its own mill, forge, baking oven, sawmill and carpentry workshop. It is now a successful business, lovingly run by the Leiter family – Elena, Veronika and Sepp.
Back in the day, around 20 – 30 artisans worked at the Wurzerhof. The equipment that they required as foresters, carpenters, cobblers and joiners was all home-made. With the help of the Villgraten Heimatpflegeverein (a local preservation society), the Leiter family have turned the basement of the main building into a fine museum with a small blacksmith’s forge, a hearth, a baking oven, and a workshop with a range of equipment and and traditional tools from the region.
The main building and the chapel were rebuilt in 1882, having been destroyed by a flood. Its appearance has hardly changed since then.
In 1867, the grain mill was turned into a three-in-one mill, following a flood. In 1952, the mill wheels were torn away as a result of yet another flood. The mill was electrified in 1955. The mill was restored in the year 2000.
The sawmill, which was constructed in 1876, stands in the direct vicinity of the River Winkeltalbach. After the flood in 1952, in which the driving wheels were torn away, the saw was electrified. At that time, two lumberjacks worked almost around the clock in the sawmill workshop. The boards that they cut were sent by horse and cart to Venice.
The former laundry/smoke room gives visitors a glimpse of the olden days.
Since 2001, the ensemble consisting of the main building, the chapel, the museum, the sawmill and flour mill, the wash room, and the blacksmith’s workshop, has been a listed building.
Alpine history and culture await visitors to the Wurzerhof farm.