Project Description

KAMMERLANDERHOF

The residential building of the Kammerlander farm is about 500 years old (its first written mention dates back to 1545). The house is built of mixed materials (stone and timber logs), and has remained largely unchanged over the centuries.

The first room on the left on entering the house is the original, preserved smoke room, which features reconstructions of the stonewalled stove with open fireplace and the rotating, gallows-like kettle stand. Before the smoke vented through the chimney in the north-west corner of the room, it deposited soot on the ceiling, giving the smoke house its distinctive character. The hooks on which bacon used to be smoked can still be seen. Below the chimney hole, on the wall, there is the oven door of the oven firebox. A total of four fireplaces were operated from the kitchen. The stonewalled laundry tub, which was added later (in around 1900), was used for blanching animal feed and doing laundry. Between the windows there is access to the oven which was used for baking, which protrudes on the outer wall as a separate small unit, and was also heated from the kitchen. When baking bread, the floorboards in front of the oven were removed to reveal a pit, from which it was easy to operate the oven. Items of equipment for cooking and making butter have been preserved.

Next to the smoke room, there is the parlour. It is partly panelled (and dates back to 1883 according to a sign on the door), and features a typical barrel stove with a wooden superstructure. In winter, the room was used as a bedroom and a laundry drying area. During restoration, the original cupboard was discovered behind the panelling, which was reintegrated after adding a new door.
In East Tyrol, granaries, in which grain was stored, are often stand-alone buildings made of bricks or wood. At the Kammerlander farm, the granary is part of the house, a peculiarity that is found mainly in old farmhouses of mixed construction (stone and bricks) in the Lienz valley. The diversity of the grains which used to be grown here is exemplarily documented in glasses stored in the sideboard in the anteroom. The large chests with several compartments were used for storage. Bacon and bread were stored in grain for freshness/softness. Also, the bread, which was usually only baked monthly, was stored in the bread rack, in order to keep mice away.

The small bedroom mainly contains furniture from the turn of the century (around 1900). The chest of drawers on the left is from the Biedermeier era (around 1830/40), and the pram is typical of the 1950s / mid 20th century.

The former master bedroom is now used as exhibition space. During restoration, rural ornamental paintings were discovered under two layers of paint on the wall (still visible behind the door on the right).

In the attic of the house, historical peasant crafts are documented alongside original equipment. A cobbler’s workshop with its various tools, many items of equipment that were used for processing textiles and materials, old skis and a fully functional loom are on show in the attic.

The “s’ Kammerland – Kulturinitiative Thurn” association makes every effort to renovate, preserve, maintain and breathe new life into the Kammerlanderhof.

Contact

Address Contact information
Oberdorf 30
A-9904 Thurn
Chairman DI Otto Unterweger

Phone: +43 (0)664 231 83 96

E-Mail: office@ngm-unterweger.at

Web: https://kammerlandermuseum.jimdo.com

Information

Raimund Mußhauser

Phone: +43 (0)676 933 12 00

AGENCY

s’ Kammerland – Kulturinitiative Thurn